Sunday, January 6, 2013

A Round of Words in 80 Days: Goals



Recently, I saw a tweet about #ROW80.  A round of words in 80 is the "writing challenge that knows you have a life."  I like this because 80 days is a decent amount of time, and with 4 rounds it lasts all year. I get to set my own goal, but there is a community to check-in. It will be like a new year's resolution that I keep! I even found a goal tracking app that I can check off each day. 

Starting Jan 7th, I will write a minimum of 30 minutes, 5 days a week.  Since I'm working on editing/revising my first novel, I don't want to give myself a daily word count.  As long as I'm doing something related to my novels--researching, brainstorming, drafting, editing, or revising,--it counts toward my goal.  Facebook posts and tweets don't count. 

I'm choosing to set my goal at 5 days a week rather than everyday because I want the goal to be attainable, and I know once in a while something might prevent me from writing. If I can get writing time every day, I get bonus points! (disclaimer: points are redeemable no where.)

During my work week, this endeavor will have to take place after the baby has gone to bed, and so I am keeping the time limit low. My supportive husband has already agreed to babysit for a few hours on fridays so I can have some in-depth writing time.  The sad new is, my favorite cafe has closed, so I'll need to find a new writing place. Saturdays I'll have time while the baby is napping.  Sundays are hectic for me, but I might be able to squeeze in a half hour.  

Linky Blog Hop Check out other ROW80 participants!

8 comments:

  1. Welcome to ROW80! That nicely specific goal of 30 minutes a day writing sounds perfect for balancing home and work commmitments yet being true to your writing self. And that baby will grow so fast this coming year. Enjoy the process.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right. She's 9 months now, so in 80 days... She'll be almost a year old! It's hard to think about the future like that when I'm so focused on the now.

      Delete
  2. Hooray! That seems like a great goal. And how wonderful that your husband is supportive of your writing!

    "If I can get writing time every day, I get bonus points! (disclaimer: points are redeemable no where.)" LOL! :D

    I totally didn't think to include that link in my post, but I'm going to go put it in!

    I look forward to hearing about your progress as you go, Emily!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "how wonderful that your husband is supportive of your writing!"
      I know, right! He writes too and got me motivated to start writing in the first place.

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you chose perfect starting goals... and you've got a sense of humor about the situation. Good for you. Glad to see you in the ROW80, and I hope you have an amazing time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to ROW80!
    Great starting goals! And hooray for a supportive husband ;)
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to Row80. Happy writing and go hug that wonderful hubby and adorable darling babe. Definitely will get bonus points for writing every single day. Best of luck with your writing goals.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Welcome to the ROW, Emily. It is a wonderful group of people--I'm in my seventh Round now. Your goals are good, because you can always go over if life permits. My only suggestion is to figure out something the points could be redeemed toward--rewards are important in any goal system. Oh, I know you were being funny--and I appreciate the humor, really! :)

    ReplyDelete